The other aspect, just set aside your simmering emotions for a second, is the proportion of commercial sensationalism that has become synonymous with this day. It wouldn't be an exaggeration certainly, if we deem it as the most sought after day by the businesses. Silly bric-a-brac's sell like hot cakes, as if the people didn't realize all round the year that they had a loved one dying to be gifted ! A few laughs and snorts are allowed here.
Well nothing wrong in being a Shylock for a day! The only difference is that, our neo-Shylocks i.e the entrepreneurs are just not interested in taking your "pound of flesh near the heart" but making it a worthwhile experience for those in love.
For those of you who still haven't found their valentines yet and won't be loosing your precious money this 14th, we bring you the right balm to soothe your dour hearts. Here's some wry Valentine's Day humor for our lonely souls
1."Valentine’s Day: the holiday that reminds you that if you don’t have a special someone, you’re alone." -Lewis Black
2. "Money can’t buy love, but it improves your bargaining position." -Christopher Marlowe
3. "True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked." -Erich Segal
4. "Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There’s too much fraternizing with the enemy." -Henry Kissinger
5."I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon." - Unknown
6."Love doesn't grow on trees like apples in Eden - it's something you have to make. And you must use your imagination too." - Joyce Carol Oates
7. "To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides." -David Viscott
8. "Some emotions don't make a lot of noise. It's hard to hear pride. Caring is real faint - like a heartbeat. And pure love - why, some days it's so quiet, you don't even know it's there." Erma Bombeck
9. "If she says she doesn’t want a special gift, she’s LYING!!! She’s just testing your mind-reading capabilities." -Unknown
10. "Love is the thing that enables a woman to sing while she mops up the floor after her husband has walked across it in his barn boots." -Hoosier Farmer
11."It’s funny how we set qualifications to the right person to love, when we know at the back of our heads the person whom we truly love will always be an exception."- Ally McBeal
12."Romance is dead – it was acquired in a hostile takeover by Hallmark and Disney, homogenized, and sold off piece by piece." -Lisa Simpson
13."Love is grand; divorce is a hundred grand." -John Waters
14."You can't put a price tag on love, but you can on all its accessories."-Chico Marx
15. "Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it." -Unknown
At the cost of sounding like the archetype love-guru here, a piece of wisdom for the lovelorns - Quality time and a year round show of affection is more worthwhile, both for the pocket and soul!
So what's your favorite 'line of expression' ? Leave us a comment in the section below.
Follow us on Twitter and our Facebook page for more interesting tidbits.