“The report from The McKinsey Global Institute finds that in the next five years, more than half of employers expect to rely more on temporary, part-time and contract workers for a variety of duties.” – Bluestone-LLC.comIn a downturned economy, how can you take advantage of this? Current temp practices include placement opportunities such as employee leasing, but the temporary jobs of the future provide you more freedom and potentially a greater job satisfaction. From telecommuting to online work, options are expanding with each passing day.
Working in your pajamas sounds like a pretty good deal, doesn’t it? Well, it’s not as farfetched as you might imagine – in fact, just the opposite. The Telework Research Network found that 45% of the US workforce holds a job that can be done from home – and that number continues to grow.
Not only is telecommuting good for the environment, but also aids in employee satisfaction. So, how can you take advantage of a telecommuting temp job?
- When searching for temp jobs, make your ability to telecommute known. Working from home means you take up one less spot in the office, one less cup of coffee and one less computer station.
- Seek out telecommuting temp jobs specifically. Companies such as AT&T, Cisco and Accenture have a high telecommuting rate.
Being an Independent Agent
If you’re job search has come up empty, it may be time to take things into your own hands. But, you don’t have to start a small business to do this. By taking on odd jobs, using the internet as your vehicle to drive leads, you can do a variety of temporary jobs that interest you and bring in steady income. There are a number of outlets you can use to do this.
- Ads: Place ads on free sites like Craigslist and Racooda.
- Profiles: Create profiles for yourself based on the work that you know, or enjoy, doing. Sites such as ODesk.com allow you to be found by companies looking for temporary contractors.
The Online World
Temp jobs of the future most certainly lie in the hands of the internet. Thanks to this ever-growing technology, the possibilities are endless. For example, doing odd jobs for people in need of your skills across the world is entirely possible. Take advantage of this, by utilizing the many sites designed exactly for that. Some of these sites include:
- Fiverr: Jobs for $5 bucks a piece – depending on your skills, you could make a decent all day to day income by taking on a number of jobs at once.
- Odd Job Nation: This site acts more as an aggregator for sites such as Cragslist. Browse by state, region and city to find jobs close to you.
While a temp job may not seem like a permanent solution, the workforce is turning to unemployed people looking to do various work for short periods of time. If you can build your reputation within a niche, you could potentially keep a steady stream of temp jobs coming in, providing you with job security now and for the future.
Jessica Sanders is an avid small business writer touching on topics that range from social media to business management. She is a professional blogger and web content writer for ResourceNation.com.