It's kinda unsettling to see the top trends have nothing to do with serious issues surrounding us; be it Facebook or Twitter.
Like this list below, you will see that top most shared articles are mostly about cute babies or loyal dogs, viral video of a homeless man or zodiac signs.
Although the most devastating event of this year, Tsunami in Japan topped the list, but there is nothing about Egypt (a classic example of social networking's impact on the world). Steve Job's death barely made it to number 37, and you won't find anything about USA's triumph over Osama Bin Laden. Nevertheless, let's have a look at Top 30 articles shared on Facebook, and I've got to admit, there are some thought provoking articles in there:
1. Satellite Photos of Japan, Before and After the Quake and Tsunami (New York Times)
Interactive comparison of satellite images of Japan before and after the earthquake and Tsunami.
Ron Clark shares why many teachers quit their jobs due to too much of parent's intervention in their teaching methods.
3. No, Your Zodiac Sign Hasn't Changed (CNN)
A scare earlier this year due to major changes in zodiac signs left tattoo lovers in a dilemma.
LZ Granderson shares his views on how young girls are getting inclined towards artificial beauty and holds parents responsible for this social faux pas.
5. Father Daughter Dance Medley (Yahoo)
A fun video of a daughter dancing with her father on her wedding day was a huge hit.
A heart warming story of a soldier and a man's best friend.
Pete Cashmore, Mashable's founder took everyone by surprise when he revealed major upcoming changes on Facebook.
A tearjerker video of a dog refusing to leave his fellow canine during the devastation in Japan.
9. Giant Crocodile Captured Alive in Philippines (Yahoo)
Associated Press covers the story of a one-ton (21-foot) saltwater crocodile captured in Philippines.
10. New Zodiac Sign Dates: Ophiuchus The 13th Sign? (The Huffington Post)
Another hoopla surrounding so called changes in zodiac signs.
11. Parents Keep Child’s Gender Under Wraps (Yahoo)
Zachary Roth covers the story of parents refusing to unveil their child's gender.
12. How to Talk to Little Girls (The Huffington Post)
Another article about sharing concerns about young girls and their obsession with their looks.
13. Stop Coddling the Super-Rich (New York Times)
Warren Buffett's opinion on rich people and his reasons on why they should be taxed more.
14. Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior (Wall Street Journal)
An article by Wall Street Journal that argues that strict rules by parents is very essential for upbringing of their children.
15. Twin Baby Boys Have A Conversation! (Yahoo)
Sam and Ren, 17-months old twins having conversation in their own baby language.
16. Man Robs Bank to Get Medical Care in Jail (Yahoo)
Story of a 59-year old man deliberately getting caught while looting a bank so that he can get professional medical attention in Gaston County jail.
17. Why You're Not Married (The Huffington Post)
Tracy McMillan with brutal honesty shares top 6 reasons why women looking for marriage remain single.
18. A Sister’s Eulogy for Steve Jobs (New York Times)
Mona Simpson, Steve Job's biological sister shares her memories with her recently deceased brother.
19. Ryan Dunn Dead: 'Jackass' Star Dies In Car Crash (The Huffington Post)
Huffington Post's coverage on Ryan Dunn's tragic car crash.
20. Scientists Warn California Could be Struck by Winter ‘Superstorm’ (Yahoo)
Earlier this year, scientists predicted a massive storm headed towards California.
21. Notes From a Dragon Mom (New York Times)
Another tearjerker story of a helpless mom who knows that her son Ronan's days are limited. A very heart touching story of a Dragon mom.
22. A Message to Women From a Man: You Are Not "Crazy" (The Huffington Post)
Yashsar Ali shares why men presume a woman to be crazy because of her emotional outbursts and how these allegations are false and baseless.
23. Obama’s and Bush’s Effects on the Deficit in one Graph (Washington Post)
Washington Post shares a graph representing policy changes under two recent Presidents of USA.
24. Penn State, My Final Loss of Faith (Washington Post)
Thomas L. Day's article on how and why he has completely lost faith in the previous generation.
25. Golden-Voiced Homeless Man Captivates Internet (Yahoo)
Story of a homeless man with a beautiful voice and how his video went so viral that it changed his life forever.
Although this article didn't make it to the top 25, but I'd like to share this interesting post by Jeff Pearlman, a rare species of fathers.
A Father's Day Wish: Dads, Wake the Hell Up! (CNN)
So, what has been your favorite story this year? Share it with us in the comment section below.